6.07.2009

Color Processing


This series of images are essentially focusing on different color processes and custom made after effects.  In raw capture I processed each of the pictures in a variety of ways to evoke certain moods or feelings used in portraiture or editorial work.  I am always willing to learn new techniques and to push myself creatively I am using this series to create highly stylized and slightly more dramatic effects than just the standard color correction and skin work I normally do.
 
The first image is processed to emphasize a 'beauty' aspect.  I wanted to evoke a  feeling of ethereal beauty that focuses mainly on the eyes.  I also played with the cropping to create negative space for design copy.  I also muted the palette to create a pleasing and calming image. I also cleaned up the skin to bring the focus on the eyes and mouth.

This image I processed in Raw capture to create a antique tint type feel to the photograph. I used the channel mixer to take the image to black and white, then I created a custom sepia tone. After the color processing I used a scanned texture of an old metal place and used layer effects to add the over all weathered texture.  I also used dodge and burn tools in photoshop to vignette the edges and darken the eyes to give them more intensity. 

This image I processed with a younger clientele or an edgier type over all feeling.  This was processed in raw capture and was split toned to create a film cross processed look.

This last photo is a bit more subtle, however if you look a the detail it is bringing out the rough edges and the texture of the image. This was processed in a gritty cartoon type style to create a different hyper reality shot with exaggerated texture. It was done by using extremes with levels, curves and fill light functions in raw capture.

Periodically I will be posting examples of my custom after effects and would like to post free textures, borders, and actions to those who may be interest.  I learn more every time I sit down with photoshop and raw capture, and I hope to continue learning.

Photos, After Effects, and Retouching by Emily Jeanne