

This is my take on Shakespeare's Ophelia. She is a moving and haunting figure and I wanted to create something equality haunting in my imagery. The Small picture is the before and after pictures (you can click on the picture to see the detail). In the final image I took out most the color of her skin (to portray a lifeless look) and I took out distracting details so the viewer can focus on the figure and her story. Photo by Emily Jeanne
"[She] Fell in the weeping brook. Her clothes spread wide;
And, mermaid-like, awhile they bore her up:
Which time she chanted snatches of old tunes;
As one incapable of her own distress,
Or like a creature native and indued
Unto that element: but long it could not be
Till that her garments, heavy with their drink,
Pull'd the poor wretch from her melodious lay
To muddy death".
- Shakespeare